I recently stumbled upon Hug It Forward, an organization that works in Guatemala building schools and there was one thing that caught my eye on the site, ‘core principles.’ I thought it was a great list and a good idea for everyone else to outline their principles like this. Sometimes what your goals/principles are might be obvious to the organization but not the traveler.
- Frugality – Knowing how far just one dollar can go in some parts of the world, we work hard to minimize expenditure in all aspects of our activities.
- Integrity – We are honest and transparent in what we do and say, and accept responsibility for our collective and individual actions.
- Accountability – We communicate openly and energetically, and actively encourage our supporters to hold us accountable.
- Transparency – With Hug It Forward, what you see is what you get. 100% of your donations go directly to projects, to be spent in the local economy. Not one penny is spent on salaries, administration, or any other expenses. Profits from for-profit businesses donated to Hug It Forward cover our daily expenses (such as this web site).
- Community – We believe that spontaneous selfless interactions between a group of people generate far more beneficial outcomes for everyone than individuals acting selfishly.
- Sustainability – We avoid “quick fix” solutions and instead invest in projects with long-term objectives that create perpetual benefits for humanity.
- Mutuality – We form win/win relationships where everyone benefits. Our volunteers get as much from their experience working with communities in developing countries as they give.
- Empowerment – Handouts do not help poor people around the world. We help people develop the tools they need to lift themselves out of poverty.
- Participation – Hug It Forward is an organization powered by YOU: without your hugs and your support we could not exist. We encourage the whole world to join this movement.
- Global Solidarity – We stand shoulder to shoulder with oppressed groups around the world. Working together we can overcome problems that would be impossible to solve apart.
2 thoughts on “Core Principles”
Thank you for acknowledging Hug It Forward! We love your blog!
Pingback: Top 50 Volunteer/Activism Blogs - L I V A