Just a reminder in case you missed it: the 2013 State of the Volunteer Travel Industry Survey is underway!
With this report, we want to continue our research to see how the field has expanded, shrunk, or changed. Your participation in this survey will give us an accurate pulse of the industry within the United States, and will help us as we move forward with research, best practices, and more.
All participants’ information will be kept strictly confidential and only the results and a total list of companies that participated, will be produced—for free, and for all to see.
There are two ways to participate: wait until Alexia or I call and harass you, or just send me an email (Sarah@FrayedPassport.com) with your answers. We’d much prefer an email, as this will help us keep a record of your responses—from you directly—so that nothing gets lost in the mix, and so that we’re both completely on the same page about what you’ve reported.
Also let me know if you’d be willing to send the volunteer survey out among your networks, and I will send you a survey that is branded for your organization.
Criteria to qualify as an operator in this survey:
- Have a U.S. office
- Send U.S. volunteers abroad
- Not faith-based in any way
- Volunteers must pay for their placement
- Travelers work for more than four days of straight volunteering (e.g., cannot be an adventure travel placement with a volunteer component)
Questions for operators that meet the above criteria:
- To which countries do you currently send volunteers?
- What is the most popular activity for your volunteers? Building; Community Development; Conservation—Environmental, Wildlife, or Heritage; Scientific; Health Care; Skills Based Professional; Teaching; Other (please describe)
- How many volunteers did you send abroad in 2012?
- Do you expect to send more or less volunteers abroad in 2013 than you did in 2012?
- What is your return rate for volunteers?
Optional, if you have time:
- Do you feel the economy is affecting your business positively, negatively or unaffected? What, if anything, have you done to counteract the effects of the recession?
- Are there any valuable insights or lessons learned you would like to share with the industry?
- Which term do you most associate with your organization? Voluntourism, volunteer tourism, volunteer vacation, volunteer travel, volunteer abroad, or other?
To be included in the report, we ask that you get back to us via email by this Friday, April 26. (Update: we’ve heard from those of you who’d like to send your answers along still–please send your surveys ASAP to Sarah@FrayedPassport.com and we’ll include you in the report!)
Thanks very much—we’re looking forward to hearing what you have to say!