Just got this from Mark Lancaster, the new head honcho at the BBC, if you’re interested here are the cliff notes on recent developments:
“The past few weeks have been a very busy time for me and a host of colleagues in member agencies. Below is a short list of the many things that are happening to improve the BBC’s efforts to support the work of our members:
- Revamping of the BBC Website so that changes can be made more easily to it and so that members can add their own events to the calendar on the website (soon I will contact all full members with your access code to the Ning site)
- Reactivating all of the Working Groups. Please watch for teleconference meeting dates for you to join in. If you have never joined one of the working groups, please look at the website for one or more you would like to be part of. Look under “Our Work” for descriptions. You are welcome to email me to put you on the list.
- The Effective Practices Workgroup, now chaired by Genevieve Brown of IVPA, has reposted the report of that group from last summer and asks members to look at it again to see how best it might be used. Also, this working group will be meeting to discuss possible options for the creation of “community impact tools” in the places that many groups are working.
- Our board of directors met for the first time this week since my coming on board. The board will meet in a face-to-face retreat in April 2012 in Washington, DC to talk about how to move from our broad strategic goals and into very practical ways to support member organizations. If you have thoughts for the board in this regard, contact me or Steve Rosenthal at Cross Cultural Solutions
- New board of directors positions will be available starting in October 2012 so if you want to put your hat into the ring, we would love to work with you.
- Quarterly calls for members to return April 12 at 2pm, Eastern Time. Please look out for your invitation to join in on an all member call April 12, 2012.
- June and December BBC Events. Please watch for announcement of a possible BBC event in June in Chicago, in conjunction with the Points of Light National Conference on Volunteering and Service. The December event will likely be in NYC around the international volunteer theme adopted by the UN and others.
- I am working to call all members of the BBC throughout this year. If you have ideas you want to discuss until I get to you, please send me a note and I will make our conversation happen.”