This data was recently presented at an Adventure Travel Trade Association meeting in Boulder – not exactly voluntourism but I think the data should be comparable.
- 2009 Assessed 250+ tour operators, based all around the globe
- 2,000,000+ customers represented
- Average price point (land only) of approx $2,700
- They weathered the economic storm better than mass tourism
- 8% flat sales in 08, while 33% were UP
- About half expected 09 to end up flat or higher than 08
- The mass tourism industry saw nothing but erosion and decrease in 2009
- They are innovative- 50% expect to INCREASE inventory offering with only 13% reducing
- They have the ability to flex- in pricing and promotions and many have maintained pricing.
- 2010 outlook (120 companies responded as of this morning) 66% see their 2010 as being UP over 2009, 17% flat. ‘Tempered optimism.’