Lasso, in conjunction with XOLA Consulting, is doing a survey of the voluntourism industry thru mid April. We’re hoping that since both Lasso and XOLA are not operators and are unbiased that we will be able to truly get some meaty results.
Here is where I beg for your participation.
How many times has a reporter asked you what the size of the voluntourism market in the US is? How many times do we have to hem and haw or use a number that we’re not sure where it came from? We’ve decided to put an end to the guessing game, let’s get some real meaty numbers.
Please participate so we can get an accurate pulse of the industry, this will help all of us.
All participants’ information will be kept strictly confidential and only the results, and a total list of companies that participated, will be produced – for free, for all to see.
Two ways to participate: wait until Christina Heyniger and I call your organization, or just send me an email with your answers (much appreciated).
Criteria to qualify as an operator in this survey:
– Have a US office
– Send US volunteers abroad
– Not faith based in anyway
– Volunteers have to pay to volunteer
– Travelers work for more than 4 days of straight volunteering (the idea with this is to eliminate the adventure companies that offer voluntourism as an activity)
Questions for operators that meet the criteria:
– To which countries do you currently send volunteers?
– What is the most popular activity for your volunteers? Building; Community Development; Conservation – Environmental, Wildlife, or Heritage; Scientific; Health Care; Skills Based Professional; Teaching; Other (please describe)
– How many US volunteers did you send abroad in 2008?
– Do you expect to send more or less volunteers abroad in 2009 than you did in 2008?
– What is your return rate for volunteers?
– Will you participate again next year if this becomes an annual survey?
Optional, if you have time:
– Do you feel the economy is affecting your business positively, negatively
or unaffected? What, if anything, have you done to counteract the effects of
– Are there any valuable insights or lessons learned you would like to share
with the industry?
-Which term do you most associate with your organization? Voluntourism, volunteer tourism, volunteer vacation, volunteer travel, volunteer abroad?