This was recently forwarded to me and I thought it might be of interest as we start planning for 2009.
THE TEN IMPORTANT WORLD TOURISM ISSUES FOR 2009
1. Repercussions of the global economic slowdown on tourism.
2. Continued concern for safety and security in tourism.
3. Impact of fuel costs on tourism.
4. Increased interest in the management of sustainable tourism
5. Upswing in the use of electronic and other technologies in tourism.
6. Greater interest in the debate on climate change and tourism.
7. Influence of mega events (including festivals) on tourism.
8. Strategic tourism planning for communities and nations.
9. Introduction of new tourism products; e.g. space tourism.
10. Effect of natural and other disasters on tourism.
Written and researched by David L. Edgell Sr., PhD, President, Global Tourism Solutions, Research Scholar, Center for Sustainable Tourism Professor of Tourism, East Carolina University